Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tis the Season

So maybe I'll average a post every six months? That's about how often I've written Jen on her mission too so maybe I should step it up in both aspects :P I meant to write this post at Christmas because it was really on my mind, but better late than never right?!
Christmas to me has always been about gratitude, even though apparently Thanksgiving has the corner on a grateful heart. I've always seen Thanksgiving as Christmas prep though. I think we need Thanksgiving before Christmas so we can truly get into the spirit of giving rather than only thinking of receiving. This year I am truly thankful for all of my family, but most especially for my sister Brittny.
Brittny is the epitome of charity. She has always been the one to reach out to those who are less fortunate, disliked, or in my mind just plain obnoxious and she has a gift for taking them under her wing and merely listening. This is NOT my specialty as I would rather fix the problem than listen, but she truly empathizes with others and desires to help in any way she can.
Brittny was a true blessing to us this Christmas. Since I still haven't been able to find a job our budget was truly tight, and Brittny set to work putting together our stockings (in all fairness my parents funded this endeavor so I'm grateful for them too!), buying us presents, sewing bags for all of the presents, helping make trifle, volunteering to feed us many many times, letting us do our laundry at her house, etc.
The best part about this was I never once heard how it was burdensome for her, but rather how excited she was to help us out and "play Christmas" with us. I love the attitude my sister has towards true Christlike service and I hope to be able to pass that around more freely during the rest of the year.

2 comments:

Brittny said...

I'm really humbled by your post Tate. I really don't think I'm worthy of all this praise. Truly it wasn't a burden to help you guys with Christmas, it was one of the best parts of Christmas this year (especially since Mom funded it!) And I LOVE having you guys over here. It makes me make us good food, and it means I get to see people I like - double bonus! But I guess I ought to just say thank you for your sweet note. Your words did mean a lot to me. Love you!

Taylor Lockwood said...

You should probably be more impressed that I actually wrote in my blog :P